2018 World Cup: Sepp Blatter Goes Against Use Of Video Evidence

By  |  0 Comments

Disgraced former FIFA President, Joseph Blatter, has spoken out against using video evidence at Russia 2018 World Cup.

According to former soccer chief, the video evidence will cause problems during the Mundial and shouldn’t be used in Russia.

“You cannot use the World Cup as a guinea pig for such a serious intervention in the game,” Blatter said in an interview with Wednesday’s Sport Bild magazine.

Blatter, 81, was banned from football for eight years in 2015 by the FIFA ethics committee over a “disloyal payment” of 2 million Swiss francs (2.07 million dollars) which was made to former European football chief, Michel Platini.

The FIFA appeals committee later reduced the suspension to six years, while Platini is serving a four-year ban.

Blatter’s administration was sceptical of technological innovations during his 17 years as president of the world governing body.

But he finally advocated goalline technology for the 2014 World Cup in Brazil after refereeing errors four years earlier in South Africa.

Blatter said: “It would be wrong to use video evidence in Russia, it is too immature and many countries still use it differently.”

•Sport writer/blogger • Media strategist •Good citizen of Nigeria and Social Media Evangelist and a core die hard Real Madrid fan.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *