World’s best player, Portugal and Real Madrid talisman, Cristiano Ronaldo has for the umpteenth time shown that though he is getting old, he remains clinical and sharp as ever.
He may have lost some of his speed but surely there will be a day, time and season he will be called ‘fading star’ but at least not this season.
Over the years, Ronaldo has remodified his game from a winger we knew him from his days at Sporting Lisbon to Manchester United and even his early years at Real Madrid to a complete goal scorer and poacher as the case may be.
He has scored all kinds of goals with his left leg, right leg, head, one eye closed, back heel, chest, and most recently in yesterday match against the second most expensive team in the world after Manchester City, Paris St Germain, his knee.
According to sports statisticians Gracenote, Ronaldo has scored more Champions League goals on his own than 87% of teams to have ever played in the competition.
Including the 15 Champions League goals he scored for Manchester United before joining Real Madrid, Ronaldo has scored a total of 116 in the Champions League. That’s 19 more than any other player including his major rival, Lionel Messi and more than 118 of the 137 teams that have ever appeared in the main competition.
It is beautiful to note a player who is known for his high standards has now scored 10-plus goals in seven consecutive Champions League campaigns, while no other player has done so in more than two. His last 12 appearances in the competition have seen him score 20 goals.
With two goals to help Real Madrid come from behind to beat Paris St-Germain 3-1 in their last-16 first-leg tie on Wednesday night, Ronaldo became the first player to score more than 100 Champions League goals for a single club.
The forward has now scored 21 goals in his last 12 Champions League games and 11 in seven this season.
Do you know
- Ronaldo has led the annual goalscoring charts on the most occasions in Champions League history (6).
- He is also the only player ever to score more than 10 goals in six different Champions League seasons.
- Ronaldo holds the record for the most goals scored within a Champions League group stage in a single season (11 goals in 2015-16).
- He is the player with most goals scored in a single Champions League season (17 goals in 2013-14).
- Ronaldo was the first player to score in all group stage games within a single Champions League season (nine goals in 2017-18).
And yet some of us think he is fading off. The signs are not there yet with these astonishing stats of his.
Meanwhile, it is the hope and desire of every Real Madrid fan that he translates his Champions League form to the La Liga where Madrid is faltering so badly.