Angelique Kerber looks forward to the Australian Open after crashing out early at the Brisbane International.
She however insists she is happy with her game heading into her final warm-up at Sydney.
The world number one, preparing to defend her title at the opening Grand Slam of the year at Melbourne Park, was unexpectedly dumped from the Brisbane tournament in the quarter-finals Thursday by Ukraine’s Elina Svitolina.
Despite the 6-4, 3-6, 6-3 defeat, Kerber is content with her form as she prepares to tackle the WTA/ATP Sydney International, which gets underway on Sunday.
“I’m happy with my start (to the year). Of course I’m obviously disappointed with how I lost in the quarters,” she said. “But I can take the positives out of the tournament.”
Kerber headlines a women’s draw in Sydney that features 11 of the world’s top 20 in their final outing before the Australian Open starting January 16.
The left-hander had a breakthrough 2016, winning two Grand Slams on her way to becoming the first German world number one since Steffi Graf in 1996.
“I have had two good matches in Brisbane. I will try to have a few more matches before Melbourne (in Sydney),” she said.
Challenging her in Sydney will be the 2013 champion and world number three Agnieszka Radwanska, along with fifth-ranked Dominika Cibulkova, who also crashed in the last eight at Brisbane.
Kerber’s Brisbane conqueror Svitolina is also due to play, as is US Open finalist Karolina Pliskova, 10th-ranked Johanna Konta, and veteran Svetlana Kuznetsova who won the title last year.