As the battle for the soul of Ekiti rages on, another episode has been played out as a judge of the Ekiti State High Court, Justice Olusegun Ogunyemi, has withdrawn from the suit challenging the eligibility of the Governor, Mr. Ayodele Fayose, to contest in the June 21 election.
It was learnt that Justice Ogunyemi withdrew from the case filed by members of the Ekiti-11, Mr. Adeniyi Ajakaiye and Olufemi Ajayi, citing threat to his life and had the case transferred to the Court of Appeal, Ado-Ekiti.
Mr Fayose had filed an appeal against the judge assumption of jurisdiction to hear the case.
With the withdrawal if the judge, the case which was billed for hearing today (Monday) would no longer take place as lawyers handling the case had been informed by court officials not to come.
The judge’s action followed a motion on notice filed by the defense team of the governor asking him to disqualify himself from the case. The motion was served on the plaintiff’s counsel on Thursday.
It was learnt that the case file had been returned to the Chief Judge, Justice Ayodeji Daramola.
When contacted, the plaintiffs’ lawyer, Mr. Rafiu Balogun, told our correspondent that the case would no longer come up for hearing today.
He said, “Court officials have told us not to come again on Monday because the case will not come up for hearing. He said a fresh hearing notice would be served on parties at the appropriate time.”
Balogun said he was not aware if Justice Ogunyemi had withdrawn from the case.
He, however, confirmed that the motion on notice seeking the disqualification of the judge from the case had been served on the plaintiffs.
One of the lawyers to the governor, however, confirmed that the case would no longer come up for hearing today.