FIFA Extends Ban Of Chris Giwa, Four Others
World football governing body, FIFA on Tuesday confirm the worldwide extension of sanctions imposed by the Nigerian Football Federation’s (NFF) Disciplinary Committee on May 12, 2016, against the officials Christopher Giwa, Muazu Suleyman, Yahaya Adama, Sani Fema and Johnson Effiong for breaches of the NFF Statutes and the FIFA Code of Ethics, an official release said.
In accordance with art. 136ff of the FIFA Disciplinary Code, the chairman of the FIFA Disciplinary Committee has decided to extend the five-year ban from taking part in any kind of football-related activity imposed on the five officials to have worldwide effect.
The relevant member association as well as CAF have been duly notified of the chairman’s decision.
Members of the media with questions relating to the substance of the decision are kindly requested to contact the NFF.
The ban, which FIFA said is worldwide, was also confirmed by the African continental body CAF.
Giwa, the former owner of Giwa FC of Jos, had been in a confrontation with the NFF since August 2014, maintaining that he was the rightfully elected president of the federation.
The result of the election was hotly disputed and FIFA had threatened to ban Nigeria from all international competitions unless the election was held again.
In the rerun election, Amaju Pinnick emerged NFF president but Giwa continued to take the NFF to court against FIFA’s policies and directives.
In May 2016, the NFF banned Giwa and his supporters for “impersonation” and breaching FIFA rules by taking football matters to a civil court.