Torres rejoins Atletico Madrid

By  |  0 Comments

Atletico Madrid have announced that Fernando Torres has rejoined the club in a loan deal from AC Milan until the end of next season.

The striker made his debut for the Rojiblancos as a 17-year-old and scored 91 goals in 244 appearances before leaving the club in 2007 for Liverpool.

Ill-fated spells at Chelsea and Milan followed, but upon agreeing a permanent transfer to San Siro last week, Torres has now promptly rejoined the club where he started his career.

A statement on Atleti’s official website read: “Fernando Torres returns to Atletico Madrid after an agreement was reached between our club and Milan as the international striker will play on loan for the remainder of the season and one more campaign.

“Signing with our club is subject to the relevant medical examination that the player must undergo to join the team.

“The loan will be official on January 5, the day the winter transfer market opens in Italy.”

Atletico Madrid winger Alessio Cerci is now almost certain to move to Milan on loan as part of the Torres deal.

Reacting to the news of his return, Torres told the media at the International Sports Conference in Dubai: “I’m happy because I’ve said many many times that I can’t hide where I come from. It’s an honour to be a part of Atletico Madrid. I made my dream come true when I played my first game for them at 17.

“This has been a fantastic club over the last few years, winning many trophies. I did my career outside Spain but there is a time when everyone must go back home. I was in the stands when I was a kid.

“I feel it is a privilege to have the chance to go back. I’m looking forward to enjoying playing and training again.”

•Sport writer/blogger • Media strategist •Good citizen of Nigeria and Social Media Evangelist and a core die hard Real Madrid fan.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *